Welcome to the Curly Cook, a food blog dedicated to good food and wine with Portuguese flare!

Monday, September 17, 2007

Beat Up Potatoes (Batatas à Murro)

I think this dish embodies many things that are uniquely Mediterranean...it marries garlic and olive oil with a baked potato, replacing the usual sour cream and chives. And instead of gently cutting open the potato, these ones are literally beat up ('à muro') in the true hot blooded fashion that is being Mediterranean.
I've never really liked potatoes, but this, along with
my grandma's taters, are by far my favourite ways of eating potatoes. I don't think I'm the only one, since most people that try them, usually ask for seconds.
As a bonus, it's a really easy recipe and goes well with anything, but we usually serve it will grilled fish.

Ingredients

20 to 30 small white baby potatoes, washed
olive oil
2 or 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
salt and pepper

1. Put the whole potatoes on a baking sheet or shallow baking pan and bake at 450 F for about 30 minutes, or until the potatoes begin to very lightly brown.

2. Using an oven mitt or clean linen cloth, pick up one potato at a time and squeeze it until it pops open (This is the beating up part!). Transfer to a deep heat-proof bowl.

3. Drizzle potatoes with olive oil until evenly coated, add the garlic and salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.

ALTERNATIVE METHOD
My cousin Jorge, lives in Portugal, and is a great cousin because not only does he read my blog, he suggests recipes and ways to make it better. This recipe is one of them.
He emailed me shortly after I posted this recipe to tell me his quick way of baking the potatoes....in the microwave. I've never tried it with this recipe, but I have 'baked' potatoes in the microwave before, and they have turned out just fine. Jorge suggested 8 to 9 minutes at the maximum setting, but use your best judgement.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi "Curly Sandra"

"Batatas a murro" not "à"

"lestatmm@hotmail.com"

Anonymous said...

Hi there, love the recipe! are you on Foodbuzz?

Zubaidatariq said...

Hi!


We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
Thanks for sharing this.....


John Williams
Zubaida Appa