Welcome to the Curly Cook, a food blog dedicated to good food and wine with Portuguese flare!

Monday, May 7, 2007

Sole in garlic dill sauce served with roasted vegetables and chive yogurt sauce


I really felt like having two things yesterday, a baked potatoe, you know with all of the fixings…sour cream, bacon, chives, and deep fried battered fish. The thing is that I’m also trying to stay in shape, so I opted for a compromise of sorts.

When I went grocery shopping on Monday, there was a deal to get 3 packages of herbs for $5. Since I don’t have a herb garden (I should get one though…anyone have any advice on how to start one in an apartment??) and I like using fresh herbs I bought a package of basil, bay leaves and a ‘herb medley for fish.’ The ‘medley’ included chives, dill and lemongrass. So I figured I could use dill for the fish, in this case sole, and chives for my ‘baked’ potato craving. I’ll admit, I kind of improvised with this one. I knew I wanted to use the herbs, and I knew that herbs get along well with fish which can sometimes smell and taste too much like fish. I also didn’t have any sour cream, but I did have some Balkan Style yogurt to work with. Anyways, here’s what I did.

Ingredients (Yield for 2)

Fish

2 filets of sole

2 cloves of garlic, cut in quarters

3 or 4 sprigs of fresh dill, roughly chopped

splash of white wine

salt and pepper to taste

Roasted Vegetables

2 medium sized new potatoes but into small pieces

6 sprigs of asparagus, rough stems removed and cut into thirds

a handful of baby carrots

1/4 tsp garlic powder

salt & pepper

Chive Yogurt Sauce

1/4 cup of good yogurt (i.e. NOT fat free) I used 6 % Balkan Style

juice from half of lemon

a dozen sprigs of chives, chopped

1. Preheat your oven to 400 F

2. Get some water boiling for the potatoes, and boil them for about 5 minutes. Drain, and mix with the asparagus, carrots and some oil on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with the garlic powder, salt and pepper. Bake for about 15 minutes or until potatoes are baked through.

3. Oil a non-stick skillet and add the garlic and dill when hot to infuse the oil. Next add the sole filets, being careful to keep them whole. Flip to other side after a minute or two, turn the heat down and put the lid on the pan.

4. Meanwhile, mix up the yogurt, lemon juice and chives.

No comments: