Welcome to the Curly Cook, a food blog dedicated to good food and wine with Portuguese flare!

Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Saffron Scallop Rice with Asparagus Wrapped in Presunto



I was probably 16 or 17 years old when I first tried scallops. One of my friends ordered scallops wrapped in bacon when we went out for dinner, and after taking a few bites I fell in love with yet another type of seafood. When I went home that night, I remember asking my Mom if she had ever tried scallops and she said she had, but never really liked them. I was slightly annoyed at having been kept in the dark about scallops, just because my Mom, the everyday cook at our house, didn’t like them, and so, didn’t bother buying them. In hindsight, (brought on by my years of wisdom of course ;) I realize that Mom probably didn’t and still doesn’t like scallops because she didn’t grow up eating them. This may sound like a weak argument, especially when you consider that I didn’t grow up eating sushi, Indian, Thai, or lots of other things that I eat, but the difference is that I truly adore food, and my Mom, not so much. In any case, I’m pretty sure she would like this, especially if it meant that she didn’t have to cook :)

So that was my scallop history, now onto why this recipe. The Liquor Stores in Ontario have this AMAZING magazine that is published quarterly (I think) and always have really cool recipes for food and drink. I think that’s what the magazine is called, how original :) Anyways, I picked up the latest issue, along with a small bottle of Bailey’s that is now gone :( and saw this beautiful photograph of pan seared scallops on a bed of something yummy. All day at work, I kept thinking about scallops and trying to remember what the recipe called for (besides scallops) but couldn’t. So then I googled ‘food & wine’ which brought me to a similar magazine based out of Australia (if you’re interested) but alas, no scallop recipe. I finally threw my hands in the air (well in my head, not literally, because I’d look funny doing that at work) and visited my trusty food tv website. I typed in ’scallops’ and came up with a few pages of hits….scroll, scroll…’what’s a reduction?’, ‘edame…I don’t think I can get those in this town’, ‘ Scallops, Tapas style’, BINGO! The original recipe didn’t call for rice, just the scallops in the saffron white wine sauce. It didn’t say to add red pepper or garlic either. And the asparagus wrapped in presunto (Portuguese version of proscuitto), well I needed to get my greens in somewhere :)

Ingredients (Yield for 2)

For the Saffron Scallop Rice

1/2 onion, chopped

1 or 2 cloves of garlic, chopped

1/2 red pepper, julienned (fancy word for cut in thin strips)

8 scallops (the bigger ones)

1/4 cup white wine

a few threads of saffron

salt and pepper to taste

1/2 cup of long grained parboiled rice

Ingredients for Asparagus Wrapped Presunto

6 stalks of asparagus, washed and stems removed

6 thinly sliced strips of presunto (cured ham)

1. Preheat the oven to 350 F to prep it for the asparagus

2. Get a small pot with water for boiling the rice. Follow the instructions on the bag.

3. Heat some oil in a medium sized sauce pan and saute the onions and garlic for a minute or so. Add the red peppers.

4. Push the veggies to one side of the pot, add a little more oil to the empyu side of the pot and add the scallops. They’ll start releasing their juices, so let them do their thing for another minute or so

5. You want the scallops to get a pretty brown caramel colour, so start mixing the veggies (which are probably carmalizing a bit) with the scallops so that all the juices mix and the scallops start to gain some colour. Remember to turn the scallops so that they cook evenly.

6. There should be a little sauce being created at the bottom of your pot. Now add a pinch of saffron and season with salt and pepper.

7. Get a baking sheet and your asparagus wrapped in the presunto. Add a little oil to the baking sheet, arrange the asparagus so there is space between them and put them in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until the asparagus is soft and the presunto sizzling.

8. Once the scallops look cooked (about 5 minutes or so) turn up the heat and add the wine.

9. After a minute or so, add the cooked rice (it should be done by now or just about) and carefully incorporate the scallop mixture.

10. Cook a few more minutes and serve with the asparagus

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My mom was from the Douro region.
She was an amazing cook.
Me and my brother used to like an old "alentejan" tomato salad sprinkled with dry oregano.
She used to make a tomato salad,
exactly the same way... except for the oregano... with a solely argument: "I'm not from Alentejo, why in hell should I use oregano?"

Yeah, mom's are all alike. eheh

"lestatmm@hotmail.com"

Anonymous said...

Forgot to say, it looks nice,
this Saffron Scallop Rice.
It is pretty much a traditional
clam saffron rice from Algarve.
I think I'll try this recipe,
your very way, well... I'l try,
because in the last minute I tend to twist the recipes my way...

"lestatmm@hotmail.com"